Sunday, July 3, 2011

The glorious Victoria crowned pigeon


The Victoria Crowned Pigeon. My absolute favorite bird of all time. This is the bird that serves as a matchmaker for Magnus and Flip. Regal, astounding, gorgeous blue and maroon. And the feathered crown! To die for! This one lives in the National Aviary, one of my favorite places in Pittsburgh. And, by the way, there really was a tufted titmouse that lived there named Ninja, who was a wonderful little bird and very people friendly. One of my favorite illegal things to do at the Aviary used to be to put my finger between the stretched strands of nylon that keep the birds from the leaving the exhibits and let Ninja land on it. He liked to peck at my knuckle. My husband had to stand between me and the nice folks at the Aviary who were on the lookout for rule breakers like me. It's a good thing my husband is both accommodating and large. I think I was a bird in a former life. Sadly, Ninja went to bird heaven recently. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment